Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stormy Afternoon

I’ve been painting for years but this is the first art show season that I’m taking paintings on the road with me so I’ve been splitting my time between glass/kiln work and painting in the studio.  Throughout the past year I’ve been perfecting a heavily textured style with a number of different acrylic mediums. The video below shows me creating the first few layers of texture on my most recent diptych.  These paintings have multiple layers and it can take weeks to achieve a depth that creates a transformation I feel is necessary for viewing them…you are truly looking into or through the layers.  My interpretation of this work is the sense of calm that comes from stormy afternoons that demand relaxation as you watch the world go by outside your window.  But only you the viewer can interpret these “stormy windows”.  


No comments:

Post a Comment